IG 150U SPM
Crown wheel is a crucial component in all commercial vehicles and it is one of the most stress-prone parts of a heavy-vehicle. Volvo Commercial Vehicles Limited (VE Commercial),
a joint venture between the $106 billion Volvo Group worldwide and Eicher motors Ltd., manufactures automotive products across 5 divisions in India.
VE Commercial was facing rejection of Crown Wheels since they were being manufactured by the hard part turning process.
VE Commercial’s Challenge:
- Crown wheels produced had defects such as flatness, inaccurate surface finish and poor tolerance
- Heavy investments of efforts and expenditure incurred in detailed inspection of all the parts produced & rejections were resulting in high cost due to poor quality.
- MGT accepted the challenge of producing these critical drive-train parts demanding highest-quality, first-time-right from the machine without high inspection costs & rejections.
Hard turning was replaced by MGT’s precision grinding solution to overcome this challenge.
- Designers at MGT developed an indigenous CNC Universal grinding machine – IG 150U SPM for bore and face grinding to address the requirements of VE Commercial.
- The Crown Wheels manufactured on MGT’s IG 150U SPM matched VE Commercial’s CTQ requirements of 10-micron flatness on an 80 mm long radial ground face reducing the rejection rate significantly.
Results achieved by IG 150U SPM
|Machine||IG 150U SPM|
|Operation||Bore & Face grinding|
|Stock Removal||0.3 mm on ID & 0.15mm on face|
|Flatness on front face||0.01 mm|
|Surface Roughness||0.6 µm Ra on Face |
0.4 µm Ra in Bore
|Face run out wrt to bore||0.01 mm|
For customised solutions to niche problems, contact us at email@example.com